Marangu Route is often called the Tourist Route or the Coca-Cola Route and is both the least difficult and the shortest way to reach Uhuru Peak. It is also the oldest of the routes. 70% of all climbers choose to take this route, as it mostly consists of easy hiking.
While this is the ‘easiest’ route, it also has a high failure rate due to poor preparation. If you take the route seriously and prepare adequately, you’ll be fine.
Marangu is not considered as scenic as other routes, but it has the benefit of boasting hut accommodation along the route – which makes it a good choice in the rainy season.
You can choose to complete this route in either five days or six days.
At a glance
• Approaches from the south of the mountain
• Oldest, most established route on the mountain
• Said to be the easiest path up the summit because of its gradual slopes
• The only route which offers dormitory-style hut accommodations instead of tent camps
• Can be done in 5 days although success rate is low for this
• Recommended: 6 days to allot an extra day for acclimatization
• Uses the same route for ascent and descent
• Most preferred during wet season because of its accommodation type
Click below for full a day by day itinerary
Combine your climb with an incredible Big 5 Safari and/or beautiful beach getaway to Zanzibar Island for the Ultimate Tanzania experience.
Don't just take our word for it
Our women's group tour recently organized through Luna Safari, was simply outstanding. From start to finish, this trip was impeccably organized, leaving us with unforgettable memories of Tanzania... read more
19th September 2023